Thursday, May 14, 2009

Chaos Without Kids

Why is it the first question everyone asks once your married, "When are you going to have kids?" What if we don't want kids? There are plenty of married couples that choose not to have kids. In fact when a customer asked me that very question the day I came back to work after the wedding, I told him "never." Then of course I had to back track, cause the second you say that the stork pays you a visit. I mean really, three dogs are enough at the moment. Case in point, Tuesday, I pulled into the driveway only to have Mason tell me I'm about to have a very bad day. My first thought is either, something expensive or something I love very much is broken. But no, it was not about to be that easy.

Charlie got sick, all over the house. And that does not exclude my antique book shelf or our new couches. It did however help with creating a nice toilet bowl odor in the living room. I feel I should specify what kind of sick it was. Let's just say it didn't come out of the kissable side, and it wasn't anywhere near solid or easy to clean up. This is where I confess my undying gratitude to my mother for allowing me to hijack her steam cleaner. And also to Mason who sent me to pick up the steam cleaner while he dealt with the worst part of the clean up.

Yesterday I spent the day truly enjoying the feel of ultra clean carpet on my bare feet, making the dogs spend most of their time in the kitchen. Fortunately it was my day to work at home, so I could monitor Charlie and make sure he was feeling better, which he was. Although a little gas had me rushing him to the back door. Just after midnight I crawled into bed, knowing that the next day would be torture since I wasn't asleep at 10pm. And because the sick dog deep clean the day before just wasn't enough, a very unpleasant sound erupted from a very large dog. Apparently, Charlie cleaned out his food and water bowls a little to quickly and emptied his very large stomach onto the bedroom floor. Did I mention that this all happened after midnight? Did I mention that I do not do well on little to no sleep?

So tell me, if we're already changing around our schedule and loosing sleep to clean up after sick dogs and spending our free time keeping an eagle eye on Koby (who has taken to chewing on the deck), when do we have time to take care of a child?

No comments:

Post a Comment