Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Post Wedding Hair Chop

I've always wondered why every bride decides to chop off her hair after the wedding. My cousin, I understand, because she grew out her hair specifically for her bridal hair do. My sister on the other hand, had beautiful long hair, that she merely cut off without a moments hesitation. I never understood this concept, until now.

On the philosophical level, it represents a change and a transformation. The old hair represents the single version of me, which I no longer am. So we remove it, like a snake shedding it's skin. We get rid of our last name, and we get rid of our hair. And changing our hair is the easiest thing we can change externally to match the change we feel internally. Feeling smarter yet? Yes? Good. Cause that's just a pile of BS.

The real reason we chop our hair? Because we just spent the last year growing it out, not being able to make any style changes just so we could have the perfect wedding hair, and we are SICK of it! My hair had gotten so long that I couldn't even style it. It was a contest of which ponytail would win that day. Because if I left it down, it would get all messed up by my chair at work and grow giant pain inducing tangles. Not to mention the horrible static in those winter months. Don't bother sitting in a leather chair unless you want to look like you just stepped out of the Magic House with your hand still touching the giant metal ball. If I could, I would have my hair short in the winter, long in the spring and fall and bald in the summer, cause dang this thick, dark colored, heat absorbing hair is hot. Anyway, back to the point I was trying to make. Hair that long and that heavy was driving me absolutely INSANE, I consider everyone who has to look at me fortunate that I didn't shave my head that night. I think the only thing that saved my hair that night was the fact that I had other things on my mind. I hadn't gone to the bathroom since I woke up somewhere around 6 o'clock in the morning. That's 18 hours of holding it. Well, I wasn't really holding it that long, I didn't have to go until the reception was over, so maybe only 2 hours of holding it. But the point is, we just get so sick of not being able to change our hair (whether or not we would have is beside the point) and growing it out past our comfort level that we drastically change it. So without further ado...

1 comment: