Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Weekend Update

I hope everyone had a wonderful Independence Day. I apparently have not yet recovered from the weekend, it is proving to be incredibly difficult to place my fingers on the correct keys as I attempt to type. As it turns out, if I type with my eyes closed I have much better results. Just a little proof that I should be sleeping instead. Once again, I did not get to bed before midnight all weekend, including last night. But honestly, I'm not complaining, I'm just giving you an idea of how much coffee I need to drink before I resort to using tooth picks to prop my eyes open. Given the chance to do it all over again, I'd probably still be this tired. Playing with fire vs. sleep. It really is a tough one, but since I can legally blow things up only once a year, the firecrackers will always win.

The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays. It's nice and warm, so you don't have to have everyone cramped inside. And you can either sit back and enjoy an impressive show in the sky, or you can be one of the ones lighting the fuse, drawing oohs and ahhs from the crowd. Either way, your bound to have a good time. Personally I prefer to be the one lighting the sky. But I imagine there will be a year or two that I will not be able to play, and I will just have to sit and watch. I'm okay with that. I enjoy watching the show as well.

This holiday always reminds me of my childhood. We used to have a block party where all our neighborhood friends would come up to the circle dragging their coolers and fireworks. If I remember correctly, my sister and I were each given $20 to spend, it was probably more like $10, but it FELT like $20. We mostly spent it all on snakes, sparklers, and snaps with and occasional smoke bomb for good measure. Eventually I was allowed to shoot off bottle rockets, I loved them the most, I felt like I was all grown up. The first time I did a round of black cats, it exploded a little to close to me and had my ear ringing for a few hours. I didn't care for that at all. It was years before I felt the desire to shoot those off again. Well, the block party is finally back. It may be a different crowd and a different block, but the fun is still the same. And the cooler was a big hit of course.

I don't waste my money on all those little firecrackers anymore, I only grab the Roman Candles and Jumping Jacks from the cheap table. Now I waste my money on the really cool pretty ones that I love oh so much. From the big morters that make the most awesome noise when they leave the tube to the jumbo packs that shoot hundreds of sparkly jems. Mason is already planning on making a switch board type thing, that will set off a bunch of fireworks in a row just by pressing a button. Denny and I however, are not sold on this idea, we think that will take away at least 80% of the fun. One thing we all agree on is a day trip down to Cuba next year to visit Steve at our favorite tent. After price shopping 7 tents this year, we are confident that Cuba Steve has the best deals on the big stuff and he actually knows his product. We'll be seeing you Mr. Firework Tent Guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment